Our Special Offers - View Offers

Dog Cat
  • {{ result.name }}
  • No results.
{{ basketQuantity }}
  • {{ result.name }}
  • No results.

Poison Prevention: Spring Plants you need to know!

Posted 15th Mar 2021

Poison Prevention: Spring Plants you need to know!

 

 

Spring has so nearly sprung and as much as we’re enjoying brighter weather, a little more warmth and some beautiful colours - there are some plants we need our pets to avoid.

 

There are many poisonous plants that cross over between cats and dogs. This includes the human spring favourites like daffodils and tulips. But check out our lists down below for cats and dogs individually, followed by information about what to do if your pet does grab a harmful plant.

 

Daffodils

 

The sunniest flowers out there. Growing wildly across the country with a special heritage to Wales the bulbs, flowers and water you might have had them stood in are all poisonous to your pet. It can cause fits and an upset stomach, inducing vomiting.

 

Tulips

 

The colourful variations popping up everywhere might seem attractive but they can have severe consequences if consumed. They irritate the mouth and gastrointestinal tract causing drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea. In severe cases, it can lead to heart problems and difficulty breathing.

 

 

Specifically for dogs

 

The Blue Cross also informs us these plants are also poisonous to dogs:

 

Apples (pips)

Apricots (kernel)

Buttercups

Daffodils/narcissus (blubs)

Elderberry

Hyacinth (bulbs)

Ivy (whole plant)

Lupin (leaves, seeds)

Peach (stones and leaves)

Sweetpea (stem)

Tulips

Wild cherry tree (twigs and foliage)

 

 

And these plants are not only poisonous but could have fatal consequences:

 

Azalea

Bluebells

Cyclamen (root)

Foxglove (leaves and seeds)

Onion (causes anaemia)

Rhododendron

Rhubarb (leaves)

Yew (berries and foliage)

 

 

Specifically for cats

 

Amaryllis

Azaleas

Birds of Paradise

Chrysanthemums

Crocus

Cyclamen

Dahlias

Foxglove

Hyacinths

Hydrangeas

Iris and Gladioli

Lilies

Widow’s Thrill

 

 

We can all try to police our pets around plants but sometimes, in the blink of an eye, they might grab something we don’t want them to. So what do we do if our pet eats a poisonous plant?

 

1. Take your pet away from the plant
Identify the plant they’ve consumed and if you don’t know what it is try and get a photo of it.

 

2. Check their breathing and how alert they are
Call your vet or nearest practice to assess the severity of the problem and if you need to take them in for a consultation.

 

3. If they are showing concerning symptoms - take them straight to the vet
If your pet is acting unusual or is having any symptoms take them to your vet as an emergency.

 

We hope that no pet ever eats anything that will cause them any pain, but it can easily and mistakenly happen. All we can do is continue educating ourselves on what we should avoid planting in our gardens and distracting our pet’s attention away from when we’re out.

 

Keep your pets safe this spring by checking for these plants in your garden and when out walking your dog. Share this post with friends and family, so if you’re ever away from your pet or you’re in a neighbouring garden, everyone can remain happy and healthy.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Sign up to our newsletter to hear about our latest offers and new brand releases